Wednesday, January 4, 2012

1Year4Days: 2011 Recap

Hey Folks!!!  I know you thought I had given up on the whole 50 pound weight loss journey.  But I am still here and will continue to work toward reaching my goal of losing 50 pounds.


+20lbs Dec2010
-20lbs Dec 2011


Well lets recap all the different diets and exercise programs I attempted to incorporate into my lifestyle.
  1. The How to Lose 20 lbs. of Fat in 30 Days from the book "The 4 Hour Body"
    • Lost 8lbs and didn't seem like something I would consider doing continuously
  2. Counting Calories
    • Lost additional 4 pounds for the couple of months I focused on calorie counting.  I think this works for me, but you have to stay focused and make sure you track everything
  3. Roller Skating
    • I really enjoyed roller skating and think if I did this at least twice a week it would make a huge difference with losing weight and keeping the weight off.  This is something I think I could continue to do and add to my lifestyle
  4. Salsa Dancing
    • Salsa dancing was fun, but it requires you to have a partner.  Currently I am single, so it really doesn't fit into my lifestyle as something I can depend on doing throughout the week.  But who knows, maybe in 2012 I might find that special someone who is game for going out and doing the latin 2step!
  5. Going to the Gym
    • SMH...I think I went to Golds Gym maybe 3 times this year.  I know not working out is the major reason why I haven't dropped as much weight as I have hoped for.  I recognize that I am just lazy and trying to find the easy answer to losing weight and keeping it off.  
  6. P90 X
    • P90 X is made for someone who is already dedicated to working out on a regular basis.  For someone like me, I think it is a little to much to soon.  It is difficult to go from no exercise to 6 days a week worth of exercise(avg 60 mins per workout).  I believe I would have had better luck with 30 minute workouts 3 times a week.
    • After the first month of P90X I was burn out and think I averaged 1 workout per week during second month.  The last month I didn't even do 1 workout.
  7. Phentermine (appetite suppressant)
    • Phentermine is appetite suppressant that can be prescribe by your doctor.  It is great if you need a little jump start to help kick those food cravings that occur when you decrease your food intake.  When I take phentermine I am to get through the day without feeling like I am starving, which usually leads to over eating.  
    • I am currently only taking phentermine when I feel I need it.  This month I actually have not taken it because I no longer feel like I am starving between meals.  I rarely crave unhealthy food now and noticed that I crave healthier foods (fruit and veggies)
  8. Weight Watchers(WW)
    • WW worked really well for me and I am still participating in the program.  When I finally joined WW in June I had put on weight about 6 pounds and felt myself slipping back into old habits.  I lost close to 18 pounds while on WW, bringing me very close to 25 pounds total.  Unfortunately November 2011 I fell of track and let the holiday dinners and desserts get the best of me.  By the time December rolled around I had gained about 6 pounds.
    • WW is great for the support and if you attend the weekly meetings will encourage you to be more accountable for what you eat.
I didn't reach my 50lb weight loss goal, but I am happy to say that this time last year I was 20lbs heavier.  When I look at my weight loss compared to my starting weight in Jan 2011 I feel pleased with the progress I have made.  

I will continue to share my weight loss journey with all of you until I reach my goal.  For my next post I will share some of the new exciting things I will be doing to help me reach my goal.  

Looking forward to a happy and healthy 2012!!!


+20lbs Dec2010
-20lbs Dec 2011

2 comments:

Dominique said...

I love Bikram too! I go to the Reston Studio in Virginia. I was wondering if you have ever tried any natural dietary supplements for your weightloss? I hear things about these prescription medications for weight loss and its kind of scary. How has it been going for you? Would you be interested in an effective natural product that does the same thing?

NJT said...

Hi Dominique! The Reston studio in VA is where I first practiced Bikram at...small world!!! This past year I have been going to the Arlington studio in VA with coworkers because it is closer to my job. I have never tried any natural dietary supplements that help with reducing your appetite. I'm always open to learning about new healthier options and welcome any info you would like to share. Thanks Dominique